Spring weather means colder water temperatures and preparing your attire for kayaking in cold water extends beyond comfort considerations; it also significantly impacts safety.
In this article and the video below champion Kayaker, Ken Whiting discusses the optimal kayaking gear for Spring paddling.
Why Clothing Choice is a Safety Issue
- Water temperature and how it affects our bodies
- Air temperature and how it affects our bodies
- Why the type of paddling you are doing is important
The Optimum Gear for Cold Water Kayaking
- The Outer Shell: Dry suits, dry tops and paddling tops
- The Layers Underneath: The base layer, second and third layers
- Foot Protection: The optimum footwear for cold water
- Hand Protection: Pogies vs gloves and which one to choose
- Head Protection: How beanies, paddling hoods and helmets keep you warm