Find The Best Kayak Accessories, Gear, Supplies, & Equipment At OutdoorPlay!
To really enjoy kayaking and get the most out of this incredible outdoor activity, you need the proper kayak accessories, gear, supplies and equipment! Here at OutdoorPlay, that’s exactly what you’ll find. Nobody does kayak equipment like we do - sourcing the top products from the top brands, and offering them to you at rock bottom prices that fit your budget.
With free shipping, price matching, and a money-back guarantee - you won’t find a better place to shop for all your kayak gear and supplies than right here. From clothing to storage covers, paddles to the different types of kayaks themselves - we have everything you need right here. Not sure where to get started? Read on below as we uncover the most important pieces of kayak gear there is, and explain how you should go about buying yours. Or, reach out via phone or email - we’re stoked to help you start your next adventure!
The Different Types Of Kayaks We Offer
Before we cover the different types of kayak accessories we offer, we want to talk about the specific kayaks you can buy here at OutdoorPlay.
- Whitewater kayaks - used for navigating swift moving rivers with rapids and obstacles.
- Flatwater kayaks - these are used in large bodies of calm water and can include anything from a lazy day on a lake to a long day kayaking on the ocean.
- Fishing kayaks - these have become extremely popular over the last few years as well.
From there, kayaks can be further classified by their design and the materials from which they are made. Each design has its specific advantages, including performance, maneuverability, stability and paddling style.
They can be made of carbon fiber, fiberglass, wood, plastic, and inflatable fabrics such as PVC or rubber. Each material also has its specific advantage, including strength, durability, portability, flexibility, resistance to ultraviolet and storage requirements.
For example, inflatable kayaks, made from lightweight fabric, can be deflated and easily transported and stored, and are considered to be remarkably tough and durable.
And of course there is always the option of an inflatable packraft kayak. These little boats have gained huge popularity for people who want to access remote backcountry rivers and lakes for kayaking. If an inflatable boat just isn't what you're looking for, consider a foldable or modular hardshell kayak.
What Are The Five Essential Pieces Of Kayak Gear Necessary To Get Started?
Okay, so you've found the kayak of your dreams. Now it's time to get the necessary kayak gear. Kayak accessories come in a dizzying array of brands, styles, and price ranges. A good rule of thumb when buying kayak accessories is to buy the best quality equipment you can afford, especially when it's your safety of the line. Below are the top five things you will need to get started in paddling.
- Kayak Lifejacket (or kayaking PFD) - Don’t even get in a boat if you don’t have one of these. Your lifejacket is one piece of kayaking equipment you never want to hit the water without. Just make sure your kayak PFD has been approved by the U.S. Coast Guard and that it is designed for paddling. A kayak specific lifejacket is designed to give you a wide range of motion when paddling. This will make a big difference in comfort when you're sitting in your kayak all day long. We sell all of the top kayak PFD brands!
- Kayak Paddle - Sure, you can use your hands - but you won’t get very far! Next to your kayak and PFD, this is the most important piece of kayak gear you'll need. There are a number of factors to consider when choosing a kayak paddle. Blade length and shape, feathered or unfeathered, and material are all important. You'll be holding your kayak paddle all day long, so weight is also a very important consideration. We sell a very wide range of virtually every type of kayak paddle from all the major kayaking companies!
- Kayak Spayskirt - These are mostly needed for whitewater and more active sea kayaking. This kayak accessory fits around the opening of the cockpit and keeps water out of the kayak. Most are custom fitted to your boat. Finding the right size is easy after you know the make and model of your kayak. Note that a kayak sprayskirt is intended for use with a sit-inside boat and will not work with sit-on-top kayaks. Since you are on top of the boat, there is no need to have a kayak skirt blocking the water.
- Kayak Helmet - A helmet is a must for whitewater kayaking - after all, this is where your brain is and you can’t paddle without that! So, it goes without saying you’ll want to buy the best one you can afford. This is no place to cut corners on the budget! Our most popular brand for kayak helmets is Sweet Protection, but we also have great options from WRSI and NRS. If you plan to go sea kayaking in rough water, or if you will be exposed to surf, then it is also a good idea to wear a kayaking helmet.
- Kayak Clothing - Let's face it, you can't go kayaking NAKED! Dressing for kayaking can be tricky. The day may be warm and sunny, but that water beneath your kayak could be only a few degrees above freezing. Safety rule #1 is whenever you go kayaking, make sure you're dressed for immersion. There are many different options for dressing, and all can be broken into two groups, either kayak layering or kayak outerwear. Layering consists of fleece and other undergarments, while outerwear includes kayak wetsuits, drysuits, drytops, and paddling jackets.
Are There Other Kayak Accessories Needed To Fully Enjoy This Activity?
After you have your essentials, you're still going to need other kayak gear and accessories in order to be sure you are safe and comfortable on the water.
Kayak safety gear is critical for maintaining a safe environment when you're on the water, so always start there first. At a minimum, always carry a kayak throw rope and a good safety knife. And a waterproof first aid kit should just live inside your kayak at all times.
Paddle floatation and kayak floatation are other important safety accessories that should not be overlooked.
Another key kayaking accessory would be a waterproof dry bag. Our favorite brand is Watershed, and they offer many dry bag options!
For transporting your kayak, you may need a kayak rack for your car, and if you have a hardshell, you'll possibly need a kayak cart for moving your boat to and from the water. When at home you'll need to consider where you plan to store your boat.
There are many different kayak storage covers including indoor and outdoor models. If you're paddling a sit-on-top kayak, you may want to consider upgrading your kayak seat to something more comfortable, like a top selling model from Surf-To-Summit.
And, of course, as a boat owner you'll need to consider what kayak outfitting options you want as well as possible replacement parts. This list of kayak gear will help you enjoy the sport to the max.
What Makes OutdoorPlay The Premier Choice For Kayak Equipment & Supplies?
When it comes to kayak supplies, there’s really only one place worth shopping for your gear at - that’s right here at OutdoorPlay. As kayakers ourselves, we know what separates the best kayak equipment from the rest, and we know which brands reign supreme.
That’s why we’re here to help you get all your kayak supplies and gear today - here are a few more reasons we’re your one-stop-shop for all things kayak gear and supplies!
Choose From The Best Kayak Equipment Brands In The Game!
When it comes to kayak equipment and gear, you want to ensure you have the best of the best. That’s what we offer here - you’ll be able to shop from the top brands in the game, including:
- Kokatat Paddling Gear
- Stohlquist Kayaking PFDs
- NRS Kayak Clothing
- Astral Kayaking Lifejackets
- Advanced Elements Inflatable Kayaks
- AIRE Inflatable Kayaks
- Aquaglide Inflatable Kayaks
- Innova Inflatable Kayaks
- Werner Kayak Paddles
- Aquabound Kayak Paddles
- Bending Branches Kayak Paddles
- Seals Kayak Sprayskirts
- Sweet Protection Kayak Helmets
- Harmony Kayak Gear
Enjoy Free Shipping & Price Matching On All Our Kayak Supplies
When you buy kayak accessories through OutdoorPlay, we help you stretch your budget even further with free shipping and price matching across our catalog.
We’re so excited to be the company you turn to for all your kayak supplies that if you find a better price, we’ll match it! And, we’ll ship your product free of charge.
Shop In Confidence For All Your Kayak Accessories With Our Money Back Guarantee
Shop for all your kayak supplies today risk free with our 100% money back guarantee. If your products don’t arrive in perfect condition, or you aren’t satisfied with them - we’ll honor a refund.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s make your next adventure your most exciting one yet with our diverse collection of kayak accessories!