Biking is much more than a way of transportation, it can be a hobby, fitness tool, and even a lifestyle. Whether you are looking to get some exercise, a rush, or just want to get outside and enjoy nature, biking is the perfect vehicle.
Types of Biking
Biking has many disciplines that range from road biking to downhill mountain biking, and everything in between. Road cycling takes place on paved terrain and employs lightweight bikes built for speed and efficiency. Recreational cycling is an open discipline where people ride roads, paths, and trails for fitness and as a way to enjoy the outdoors. Mountain biking takes places in a variety of off-road terrain and is broken into cross country, all-mountain, and downhill freeride. Cross country mountain biking involves uphill and downhill biking on off-road terrain with bikes that feature lightweight components and minimal suspension. All-mountain biking is similar to cross-country biking in that it involves both uphill and downhill terrain, but all-mountain bikes have a larger emphasis on downhill riding with longer travel and more robust components. Downhill Freeride biking is off-road discipline that focuses on gravity assisted trails with rough terrain and technical features. Downhill Freeride bikes use full suspension bikes with long travel with very robust and durable components.
Who's doing it?
Biking is a widespread hobby that almost everyone partakes in, though at different magnitudes. Some people commute to work and back on their bikes, some get out for fitness, and others for the rush. Biking is enjoyed as a solitary or group activity and is possible whether you live in the city or mountains.
If you are looking for a new way to spend time outdoors, increase your physical fitness, satisfy your adrenaline addiction, or just meet great people then biking is the perfect activity for you.
Biking gear essentials
Biking gear presents a dizzying array options for countless different cycling styles that can be daunting to those who may be unfamiliar. Regardless of what type of biking you will be doing this list of essentials will get you going in the right direction.
- Bike Helmet - Next to your bike, this is the most important piece of gear you'll need. This is your head we're talking about, so buy the best one you can afford. This is no place to cut corners on the budget!
- Bike Rack – Transporting your bike will be an important thing to think about. There are many options for bike racks including roof racks and hitch racks.
- Knee and Elbow Protection - Though not required, pads are a highly recommended cycling accessory that will prevent injuries.
- Bike Storage – It helps to have a dedicated place to store your bike when not in use. There are many options including wall storage, free-standing racks, and ceiling mounts.
Top Biking Gear Brands
There are a lot of brands out there that offer bike gear, but we consider these brands to be the cream of the crop.
- Kuat Bike Racks
- Thule Bike Racks
- Yakima Bike Racks
- Saris Bike Gear
- Feedback Sports Bike Gear
- Bern Bike Helmets
"I contacted Outdoorplay about a price match issue, and got a near instant response with detailed instructions, so I placed the order. Very happy with the response time."
- Jason S.